Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report
Occurred : 6/4/2003 23:00 (Entered as : 06/04/03 23:00)
Reported: 6/5/2003 2:02:33 AM 02:02
Posted: 6/10/2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Shape: Light
Duration: 30 minutes
Characteristics: There were lights on the object, The object changed color
I am a security officer assigned to a sensitive area which I will not disclose. The sighting was from this location, but not at this location. While working, my partner and I heard the engine of a (large)plane decrease rapidly. My partner, (who is located in another area of the site that we both work at), radioed to me regarding the sound of the engine decrease. I responded to him that I did hear the engine decrease and looked up to see the plane. It did not appear to be in any trouble and continued on it's way south towards the Phoenix metro area. As I turned my sight away from the plane, I noticed a light in the sky south/south west of our location. I watched it for a couple of seconds and my partner radioed to me again regarding the light. I informed him that I was watching the light and that it did not appear to be moving in any direction. We both watched the light and as we did, we noticed the light was changing color from an orange to a red and back and forth. It was at this point that my partner radioed to me that he was going to join me at my location. Upon arrival, we both stood there getting a bearing on it to see if it had moved. It didn't. We tried to come up with explanations for what we were witnessing and after about 15 minutes of not coming up with anything substatial, another light appeared just to the east and a little higher. Since the lights were miles away, there was no way for us to tell exactly what it was that we were viewing. Two minutes into the sighting of both lights, the first just went out. Some surprise for both of us, to say the least. About a minute later, a third light appeared slightly higher and to the west of the one we were now viewing. Then the second one went out. As we were watching this incredible light show, I asked for my partner's cell phone to call my wife so that she could maybe see it. I really didn't think she had a chance considering we live in the heart of Phoenix. She never got to a clear spot in time. The third and final light went out! After a few minutes, my partner turned to me and said "Where are all the planes that were flying around here"? True. Not a plane in the sky. As if they were told to vacate the area. Only a half hour before, we had counted at least 15 aircraft in the vicinity. We watched the skies for an hour after that and never saw another light. The entire incident lasted for 30 minutes.