Occurred: 1975-10-20 01:30:00 Local
Location: McDermott, NV, USA
Shape: Sphere
Duration: 3 hours
No of observers: 0
Reported: 2012-07-25 19:09:35 Pacific
Posted: 2012-08-05 00:00:00
Characteristics: Lights on object, Aura or haze around object, Changed Colo

A large, glowing ball that changed colors, and drifted overhead and to the South and West of me.

#5. McDermitt, Nevada Glow. In 1975 my folks and I were in the Lapidary trade (commercial rock-hounds) digging about 10 miles west of McDermitt, Nevada, on the Disaster Peak Road, which is heading due west from McDermitt, Nevada, on the way to the Trout Creek Mountains. We had a pick-up camper set up off the pickup as living quarters. I would go home to Sweet Home, Oregon every other week to see my boys. (My divorce had decreed I could get my two sons every other weekend.) On the week--ends between, I'd go shopping on Sunday in Winnemucca, Nevada, for what supplies and food we would use while mining at that location.

For some reason my parents needed to go out for one of the week-ends and I stayed alone at the digging pit. Our location was high on a desert plateau, almost always a wind, very dry, but the elevation seemed to negate the heat, so it wasn't an unpleasant spot. In the evenings it was difficult to get a good radio signal and television was out of the question. I would usually listen to KBOI, an AM frequency from Boise, Idaho. Many nights I'd fall asleep with the radio still playing and wake up to a bunch of stati cas it was not great reception on a constant basis. Then I'd turn off the radio and go back to sleep.

This particular evening I woke up to static.....no big deal, figured I'd forgot to turn the radio off as I would do quite often. Surprise......when I went to turn the radio off, IT WAS OFF! Okay, I figured I was still groggy from waking up. I got out of bed, splashed my eyes with water just to be sure I wasn't having a dream. At that time I noticed it was very light outside. The amount of light outside seemed extra-ordinarily bright even if it was a full moon (which it was). I opened the camper door, which faced to the west and noticed the full moon, okay, but also another glow coming from the small amount of clouds to the west.

However, this glow was larger than the moon, which I could see easily, and was a shimmering yellow, white, silver, pink and kept changing colors as I watched it. My jaw must have been gaping in disbelief! As I watched, it would slowly move west, then south, then north......not quickly, but always in motion. It would drif! t out of the clouds, then into the clouds. It was brighter than the full moon and constantly changing colors. (Pastel colors, not vivid colors.) To say I was scared would be a bit of an understatement. I went back inside the camper and got dressed. In the excitement it didn't take long to dress!

I continued to watch this object for over an hour. The noise that I had initially thought to be the radio was coming from this object. Not loud, but always present. My best estimate of size would depend on the distance I thought it to be away from me. I estimate the object at 300-400 feet in diameter, and 5-8 miles away, maybe more. I finally thought to look at the time.....4:10 A.M. So I must have awakened about 3:00 A.M. It slowly drifted west over the Trout Creek Mountains out of view. Needless to say, I did NOT go back to sleep!

I turned on KBOI radio at about 6:00 A.M. Later that morning to the news of a sighting by several others within a couple hundred mile radius. A Nevada State Trooper witnessed what I saw while he was patrolling between McDermitt and Winnemucca, Nevada, (actually he was near Orovada, Nevada at the time). An Idaho State Trooper near Murphy, Idaho also reported seeing a large glowing object. A mother and daughter driving toward Boise, Idaho from McDermitt also saw and reported the object.

One of the most interesting sightings, in my opinion, came from a man living near Boise. The man owned a private airplane, drove to the airport, started his plane and tried to get nearer the object, however, the object disappeared before he could get very far from the airport where he had departed.

When my parents returned on Monday, the news had gotten to them before I had the opportunity to share my experience about it. We did spend a lot of time discussing it. They were so disappointed they had gone back home and had missed the event. I was so pleased to know others had witnessed this object. The variety of witnesses was incredible. It made news chatter for about a week and then faded out.

Again.......I know what I saw, and as I've stated before.....I DON'T DRINK nor do I ENGAGE IN DRUGS !!!


Witness indicates that the date of the sighting is approximate. PD

© 2023 National UFO Reporting Center. All rights reserved. Use or reproduction within any application without written consent is prohibited.