Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report
Occurred : 10/8/2004 18:00 (Entered as : 8 Oct 2004 18:00)
Reported: 12/12/2007 7:09:13 PM 19:09
Posted: 3/4/2008
Location: Lakewood/Denver, CO
Shape: Formation
Duration: 15 minutes
Characteristics: There were lights on the object, The object emitted other objects, The object changed color, There were aircraft in the vicinity or aircraft chasing the object, There were electrical or magnetic effects
Bright lights forming various patterns.

The date was Saturday, 8Oct2004. I was standing in my front yard near 10th Ave. and Garrison St. in Lakewood, Colorado, a suburb of Denver. The sun was close to setting but had not yet set.

While watching a flurry of leaves fall from a tree I noticed a bright object in the northeast sky through the tree's branches. At first I thought it was the sun reflecting off an airplane but it became apparent to me that the object was not moving in relation to the tree's branches. I checked my watch and it was about three minutes past 6:00 p.m. (Mountain Daylight Time). The object appeared to be in a position not quite half way between north and east and all the activity I describe took place at an elevation of between 30 and 45 degrees above the horizon. Having no reference point, I can not guess as to the distance or altitude of the objects I saw.

I moved to get the tree out of the way and began thinking perhaps I was seeing a star becoming visible as the sun was setting but it was just too early for a star to come out. I then began to think it was a weather balloon reflecting the sun. I have not seen a weather balloon since I was a kid and am now 60 years old. By the time I changed position and got the tree out of the way, I could see that the object was now moving in relation to some overhead electrical wires.

About 30 seconds had elapsed at this point. Now I began to think I was seeing a satellite of some kind, as it was moving to the southwest at about the speed I have seen satellites move. I called to my daughter (age 24), "Come see the satellite," and when I looked back the bright object was moving to the straight west. While I was waiting for her to arrive I saw several smaller bright lights (of two sizes) appear and disappear randomly at varying distances around the first object. Some were visible for several seconds, others just flashed on and then off. She arrived just in time to see several smaller objects, about six of them, form a semi-circle around the first object for a few seconds and then, in a split second, a number of the secondary objects formed a straight line with the first object for a few seconds. The line was angled in such a manner that, if extended upward, it would have crossed the northern sky in direction of the north compass point.

My daughter looked at the bright objects through binoculars and said that they appeared to have orange and green lights on opposite sides. After this, both the primary and secondary objects appeared and disappeared randomly in the same vicinity for several minutes. Some were large and others were small.

At some point one of the secondary objects separated from the group and began moving in a southwesterly direction. Every so often it appeared to produce flames, like rocket propulsion, and would accelerate rapidly in random directions. At some point another object separated from it and acted in a similar manner, flaming and changing direction at odd angles but keeping in the vicinity of the object from which it came. Both objects headed west, sometimes bright and sometimes dark, as silhouettes, but I could not discern any particular shape. The offshoot object disappeared but I continued to watch the other object for a while. It became dark continuously and looked and acted much like a radio controlled model airplane. It flew west and I swear that at times it looked like the silhouette of a large bird flapping its wings, then it too suddenly disappeared.

While this took place, several of the other secondary bright objects moved off slowly in a northeasterly direction. The first object then disappeared and by 6:15 p.m. all objects had completely disappeared.

My daughter continued to watch the sky and about 10 minutes later she said she saw a bright object again in the vicinity of where the dark objects had disappeared.