Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report
Occurred : 1/10/2005 18:45 (Entered as : 01/10/2005 18:45)
Reported: 1/10/2005 7:39:20 PM 19:39
Posted: 1/11/2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Shape: Changing
Duration: 15 minutes
Characteristics: There were lights on the object, The object changed color
Multi colored object, split into 3 lights, then split into 2 white lights northwesterly of Mercer Island, WA

At around 6:45pm this evening I was outside on our porch smoking a cigarette, looking into the western sky towards the Seattle area.

I noticed an unusual star, or so I thought at first. After watching this 'star' for about a minute, I noticed it moving in a southeast direction at a very slow speed. I could see with my naked eye, several different colors flashing, so I thought it must be an airplane of some sort at a fairly high altitude.

I am very knowledgeable regarding aircraft, since I am a licensed commercial pilot and former flight instructor.

This 'aircraft' did not appear to be moving at a steady rate of speed.

After watching this 'thing' for several minutes, it suddenly split into 3 different and distinct lights. I could not make out what exact shape they were, and at this time I called for my wife to bring out the binoculars. She quickly came out with them and I focused them as quickly as possible. By the time I got them adjusted, the three lights became only one, with the same blinking.

We watched this 'thing' for the next 15 or so minutes, me looking through the binoculars and my wife with only her eyes, it suddenly split into 2 distinct lights, one white light shooting straight into the atmosphere, the other white light shooting in a northerly direction.

The rate of speed could not be calculated, but it was only a matter of maybe a couple of seconds before the objects were both out of sight.

No noise was heard, and I suspect the objects were many miles away and at an altitude again, that could not be judged, but it was most likely above 18,000 feet.

The sky at this time was clear, and the big dipper could be observed to our northeast direction. Other stars were visible also.

We then went back inside to eat dinner, and around 730pm I went outside to see if this 'star' was still in the general vicinity, but, of course, it was gone.

I've been flying since 1975, hold a commercial license with single engine, multi engine, seaplane, and CFI-II ratings. I know what we observed was not any known aircraft.