Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report
Occurred : 10/28/1987 20:30 (Entered as : 10/29/1987 20:30)
Reported: 4/24/2004 8:08:53 PM 20:08
Posted: 4/27/2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Shape: Changing
Duration: 30 minutes
Characteristics: There were lights on the object, The object emitted beams, The object changed color
Las Cruces lights.

It was wednesday before halloween but I don't remember the date. I fell asleep about 8:30 and was awakened by a bright light in my room. At first I thought I had overslept and it was full day but when I woke I realized the light was gone, I looked out the window thinking someone was in the yard putting a flashlight to windows (I lived in a 4plex that was empty except for my unit). No sign of anyone, then I thought maybe a car had gone down the dirt road behind the complex, but there was nothing. I was ready to go back to sleep when I saw that it was almost a full moon. While I was admiring the moon I saw a 'star' move from one side of the moon to another, then it was joined by two more. The three moved together to another part of the sky, then were joined by 6 more. They did geometric formations, pyramids, triangles, then light shot between them for a few seconds. Then all but one zipped off. The one came close and got big, it looked like a sphere with lights stobing around the middle, but I could have imagined that. It might have been a disk or just a circle of stobing lights. No way to tell. It hovered a while and suddenly the lights went dark for a second, then they came back on and a beam of light shot down to the ground. It was bright white and seemed to have a spiral of brighter light in it (some kind of movement). It stayed on for a few seconds, went off then on again. then it went off and the lights left. There was no sound the whole time. I looked at the clock and it was 9:00pm. I remember it fairly well because I wrote it down. What was weird is that I was usually exhausted because of work and kids and too much to do to ever get enough sleep and I felt like I had a full nights restful sleep. The next day I called the police and sheriff to see if a helicopter had been in the area or if anyone else had seen anything. Neither department owned a helicopter and said the military did not have one in the area. No one had reported seeing any lights.

((NUFORC Note: The Wednesday before Halloween was October 28. We have corrected the date above. PD))