Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report
Occurred : 4/20/1982 20:00 (Entered as : 04/20/1982 20:00)
Reported: 3/10/2004 10:24:43 AM 10:24
Posted: 3/17/2004
Location: Brisbane (QLD, Australia),
Shape: Light
Duration: approx: hour and a half
Characteristics: The object emitted other objects, There were aircraft in the vicinity or aircraft chasing the object
Object breaks into parts followed by military helicopters.

A lady telephoned me and wanted to report a sighting she and another had in Brisbane, Australia back in 1982. She was living in a two story apartment building which was located on top of a hill and had been living there for eighteen months. Also the building they lived in was right over top of the flight path for their major airport. The jet airliners would come in very low and the lady said it almost felt as if the wheels of these aircraft were skimming across the roof. So she was used to hearing and seeing the large aircraft fly over her home.

One evening the couple felt a vibration which was different from the normal aircraft. Actually the vibration traveled straight through their bodies. Thinking something was not right they went to their living room window which had a beautiful view of the city. What they saw was certainly unusual. The brightest object passed right overhead. The witness told me that it looked like burning magnesium as this was the best example the lady was able to think of. Whatever it was, was extremely large and very bright. The woman said it was a brilliant blue/white in color and it was blinking, or pulsating off and on. When it pulsed off they were not able to see anything until the light returned and it was only the bright light which was seen.

As it moved slowly through the night sky the object came to a stop over southern Brisbane. It was at this point high up in the sky it again disappeared due to the light going out and when the light returned the object was in a completely different location. It all happened so quickly they wondered how it was possible that any craft was able to move so fast and so far away from it's last location. This continued for some time, blinking off and on and again appearing in a different part of the sky. The lady said they watched the object for an hour and a half. Just before it left the airspace it was in, the object split into two separate lights. Both of them were now blinking on and off and the colors were amazing she said. She also added the object was shooting off what looked like flares and again these were colored as well. After a short time the two parts joined into one large object again then split into four pieces and now throwing off a large number of what they described as colored flares. Once again all the four separate parts came together forming one large brilliant object and started flying westward towards the desert. The witness said it was very exciting to watch from their veranda.

The lady went on to say they knew it wasn't anything that mankind had as she knew of no technology that would be able to perform the aerial acrobatics this object had done that night in a split second.

Something interesting the lady also mentioned was that the international airport had flights arriving and departing approximately every fifteen minutes. She said for the whole time the object sat over Brisbane there was not a flight to be seen coming or going or flying above. As the lady reported above..... the object left, heading west into the desert over the Great Dividing Mountain Range. She was so excited at what she had seen she could not go to bed. It was a warm night so she sat looking toward the mountain where the object had headed. Approximately thirty minutes after the object was out of her sight a group of lights appeared in the distance where the object was last seen. The lights were coming closer and it appeared that they were following the same track the object was traveling, just back tracking. As the lights drew closer and then passed right over top of their apartment the woman was able to see and hear what these objects were. There were four or five military helicopters that were flying in overhead.

After the helicopters passed by and out of her sight the normal air traffic resumed their flights.

The witness called the airport the following day and the folks there denied that something had taken place the night before. There was nothing in the local newspapers or on radio or television. The folks wondered if they had been the only ones watching the drama unfold in the skies that night. They never did find out what it was or find any other people who may have watched the same event.

Thank you to the witness for the report.

Brian Vike, Director HBCC UFO Research Phone 250 845 2189 email: Website:

((NUFORC Note: The date is approximate. We express our gratitude to Brian Vike for this report. PD))