Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report
Occurred : 8/30/1961 00:00 (Entered as : 08/30/1961 0:00)
Reported: 3/1/2004 7:16:46 AM 07:16
Posted: 3/2/2004
Location: Evendale, OH
Shape: Unknown
Duration: 10 to 15 seconds
Characteristics: The object landed, The object made a sound
This UFO event occurred in August or Semptember of 1961. I wish someone could shed some light on this matter. A lot of time has passed since the event, but I'll try to recall the incident as accurately as I can.

It was late summer in 1961 when ((deleted--witness #2)), ((witness #3)), ((witness #4)), ((witness #5)), and myself were camping on ((deleted)) farm. I believe it was on a Friday late in the afternoon when we set up camp. I always gathered the firewood and started the fire whenever we camped out. Just before dusk I set out to gather some firewood. ((deleted)) farm was a pristine farm consisting of series of rolling hills covered with little vegetation except in the ravines or small valleys. It was in these places that I set out to find some firewood. As I reached the top of the second ridge I looked down into a grassy ravine and observed a dead tree lying on its side. The bark had fallen away revealing a bleached trunk and branches. It had been there a long time.

I went down to the tree and gathered as much firewood as I could. I thought to myself, just before I descended the hill to the dead tree, how beautiful the contrast of the bleached tree was to the green grass cropped by the sheep. I returned to the camp with my first load of wood and I asked ((witness #2)) if he would assist me in retrieving some firewood several ridges over. Thus between the two of us had a sufficient amount of firewood for the night including my first gathering.

Late that night we were in our tent telling scary stories. All of us were around 14 years of age since we were classmates at Princeton High School, in Sharonville, Ohio. Around midnight we heard a strange sound above us which lasted for about 10 or 15 seconds. The best way to describe the sound is to say that it was a high pitched whiring sound. It sounded something like a jet engine at idle, but not as loud and it had a softer sound. We were already a bit spooked and this unknown sound startled us. I grabbed my bee bee gun and quickly exited the tent, not so much as to face off with the intruder, I just didn't want to be in the tent where I could not see the present of possible danger. All the guys exited with me and we gathered together looking to the Southwest. That seemed to be the direction of the last sounds we heard. I may add that it is also the direction of the GE, Evendale Jet Engine Plant.

After spending a few minutes outside, we reentered the tent and bedded down. I settled into my sleeping bag while listening for and pondering the possible sources of the strange sound. As I said GE Aircraft Engine Group was West or Southwest of us about 6 miles and the nearest road was to the North of us about one half mile. I thought perhaps it was the sound of squeaking brakes of a Semi Tractor and Trailer descending down the hill on the road to the North of us or perhaps it was a late night test of a jet engine being tested in one of the many test cells at GE. In the middle of my curiosity I must have fallen asleep and I didn't awaken until the next morning.

It was chilly so I decided to gather some firewood from the same spot as the evening as before, which was Southwest of our campsite. To my surprise, next to the dead tree was a perfect circle burnt in the green grass, green for empahsis. The charred area was approximately 20 feet in diameter and it was Northwest of the fallen tree approximately 20 feet. I descended to the strange circle and I remember wondering why I didn't notice the circle the night before. Then I ruled out the possibility of missing such a blaring landmark since I recalled thinking how beautiful the contrast of the dead tree and grass was just the night before. I even considered that the KKK may have had meeting and built the fire, surely they would have used the firewood from the fallen tree and it was undisturbed and the charred area was not that of a normal fire. The grass was simply charred black.

I thought I would test my recollection of this site as it was the night before, so I returned to the camp and asked ((name deleted)) if he would help me gather some more firewood without telling him of the burnt circle of grass. I wanted see if he would have any reaction to the charred circle of grass. I remember this part of the incident and the conversation that ensued quite well. As we arrived at the top of the second ridge ((name deleted)) said, "Look at that!" I said to ((name deleted)), Look at what? ((name deleted)) replied, That circle of burnt grass. I said, So...? He replied, It wasn't there when we came here yesterday." I knew then that this circle of fire had not been there the day before.

((name deleted)) and I investigated the charred grass and discussed the possible origins, but all of the possibilities seemed rather lame. We both agreed that it was not there the day before. I refrained from saying anything about a flying saucer though the thought came to my mind.

((name deleted)) and I returned to camp and invited the others to come and see something. All of us were baffled. ((name deleted)) never burned open fires on his farm. Open fires on local farms like ((name deleted)) farm or like the one I lived on at this time was an event that rarely occured. To burn underbrush or dead trees was a fire hazard too great because of the dryness of the season.

Sometime afterwards, I woke up in the middle of the night after a terrifying dream. I dreamed that I was in a struggle or fight with someone. It was very dark in my room even though my eyes should have been adjusted to the darkness. I suddenly realized that a large amount of liquid was running from my nose. At first,I thought I had a major nose run, but the smell around my face was strange and I could taste the liquid and it was different. I made my way through the darkness to the bathroom and fumbled for the light switch. I turned on the light and I saw blood on the light switch cover and then I looked into the mirror and to my utter surprise the lower half of my face was smeared with blood. The blood was still gushing from both nostrils. I had never been prone to nose bleeds even when I got into a scuffle now and then. I cleaned myself up and woke my father and told him of the incident. Lastly, my concentration on my studies fell way off and I do admit that I wasn't interested in school at the time, but stuff came to me easily until the above events.

I apologize for the lengthy description and I freely admit that I have in the past fifteen years read about people being abducted and/or abused by so called aliens but what I have expressed is true. I have never seen any hard evidence of the existence of aliens or their spacecraft. If there is something to my story and the many others I want to know what happened to me and the others...

((NUFORC Note: Date of incident is approximate. PD))