Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date
|National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report|
|Occurred : 10/15/2001 15:00 (Entered as : 10/15/01 15:00)
Reported: 4/2/2002 1:53:25 PM 13:53
Location: New York City (Manhattan), NY
Duration: 5 minutes
|Black, elongated shape-shifter, floating/hovering in Manhatten NYC.
Ok, as a skeptic (most UFOS I would think are merely military dirigibles and unmanned drones) I wasn't really certain what i and my girlfriend had seen. We pulled out of the Holland Tunnel in downtown NYC not far from Canal street, on our way to Brooklyn. It was a beautiful day as the sun was shining and visibility was straight up (10,000ft ceiling maybe), and no cloud cover. We were sitting in traffic for oh, maybe 2 minutes when something just above a building across from us caught my eye. The distance, ground, was maybe 100 yards to the building, and vertically maybe 12 stories high. The sun wasn't shining in our eyes nor was there any glare to obscure our clear path of vision. This thing behaved like a living creature, it sat in the air just above this building and slowly rose and began to move horizontally over canal street. Immediately i asked my girlfriend to look and comment on what she thought it was (still sitting in traffic we had ample time to peep it). Her initial comment was that it was a string of black balloons floating carelessly in the air and rising upward, made sense to me judging its appearance, BUT balloons wouldn't behave like this thing did! This idea of it being balloons was dashed against the rocks due to it's size and nature....was maybe 45 feet in length and altered its shape.
Allow me to explain in bulleted points:
1. The object was hovering in place and changed direction a few times smoothly, against the breeze which was blowing. Did not react to wind direction or speed, as the wind would gust.
2. Object was close enough to the street (like 100 feet) that it would be affected by same wind we were.
3. Was jet black and appeared to be almost like a giant oarfish moving in the air in a twisting fashion. This thing had what seemed specific motions which were repeated over and over such as a sidewinder snake moves...deliberate and repetitive.
4. Would stop, hover, twist, move, stop, hover, twist, move, etc. all the while changing shape from long and snakelike to rectangular and spherical.
5. After floating and shape shifting above and around building (it wasnt tethered as the wind would whip it a certain way)it moved "fast" (maybe within 2 secinds time) the length of 3 blocks NE, then stopped to begin its dance again. Then moved an opposite direction just as quickly and stopped.
As it moved on it began to head due NE towards the east side and east river then ultimately dissappeared behind a large building maybe 6 blocks from my car, at this time it reached an altitude of maybe 350 feet then just vanished. By now i had cars honking behind me followed by a barrage of profanity, so i had to move.
Strangest thing i've ever seen...it truely looked like a snake or oarfish/eel floating in air anyone else see this thing?!
((NUFORC Note: Date is approximate. PD))