Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report
Occurred : 10/15/1988 19:55 (Entered as : 10/15/88 19:55)
Reported: 8/18/2001 06:20
Posted: 8/20/2001
Location: Orono/Bangor, ME
Shape: Triangle
Duration: 10-15 minutes
Characteristics: There were lights on the object, The object made a sound
Delta shaped craft seen over UMO (1988?) Oct 15 - very quiet and still to slow moving

((NUFORC Note: We presume "UMO" stands for University of Maine at Orono (Maine). Date of sighting is approximate. PD))

When I first saw this there was not many posts for this type of siting and I let it go except for one post I made to some Purdue researcher that I never heard back from. However, this is what happened. I was coming back from the computer lab at UMO and noticed a light over the trees as I passed in front of the gym. Anyway it struck me as odd and I pulled into the parking lot on the ball fields side and looked at it. I realized that it was on my way home about over by the dairy farm. So, I got back in my car and went like I was going to the dairy farm and while on the way I could occassionally see the glow of the light ( bright white ). As I got closer I saw the source of the light was hovering over the edge of the field. As I turned into the road that went to the farm I almost immediately pulled over and stopped and got out of the car. I looked at the clock and it was nearly 8 pm. I looked up at the craft and some things that struck me were the following: it sat as still as if it were on a stand somewhere between 300-1000 feet in the air. It did not appear to be that big (about the size of a small school bus but wider. ) It appeared to be pretty flat and shaped like a shortened home plate (more delta shaped than rectangular). As I stood there I could no longer see the source of the light because I was a little under it and behind it (the light source on the object) . I could see the glow of it though. The next thing that struck me was the sound it made. It was very quiet but it sounded kind of like a jet engine with the volume turned way down. No other lights or sound was evident. The night was still as could be. I watched it for perhaps 5 minutes and at that point it headed towards Route 2 going to Bangor. As it got close to Brewer I lost site of it because the road was under construction and I could not get into town quick enough to get across the bridge. It never went very fast. It was still for at least 10 minutes in the beginning and then I followed it for another 5-7 minutes as it followed the river.