Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report
Occurred : 8/11/2011 04:15 (Entered as : 08/11/2012 4:15)
Reported: 8/11/2011 4:47:32 PM 16:47
Posted: 8/21/2011
Location: Topeka, KS
Shape: Light
Duration: 3 minutes
Characteristics: There were lights on the object
I was working early in my garage this morning,. I stepped out of the garage at about 4:15 or maybe 4:30 am, into my three acre heavily wooded lot surrounding my house. The morning was crisp, low humidity and temperature probably around upper 60's. The night sky was brilliant with no deterioration from humidity -- a great viewing opportunity if I could have set up my telescope.

I then observed a bright white light on a slow moving trajectory heading on the flight path I assumed to be to the Kansas City airport (MCI) as their are many commercial planes that use that or nearly that landing / takoff path.

I then looked for the blinking red indicator lights that are normally visible on commercial planes about 70 miles out from MCI. I spotted no red blinking lights on the bright white (round) light moving east - east - south east (EESE). I next listened for the jet engine noise. Nothing - the early morning was dead silent. I then moved quickly down to my pond about 90 foot north of my garage door to get a better, unobstructed view and confirm this was a commercial aircraft (it was moving at what I considered a commercial jet landing speed but two to three times brighter than what I normally note as jets on their way to and from MCI).

As I ran to my small pond I became convinced this was not a commercial aircraft and started shouting "Hey - Hey -- Hi - Hello" and with my arms above my head began waving my arms toward the moving bright light overhead. I was very excited and almost pleased I was seeing this light disk in the sky.

As the round light passed overhead I changed my opinion to the probability that this was a satellite circling the earth and catching the early morning sun from below the horizon. There were no lights blinking from wing marker lights and absolutely no sound emanating from an internal combustion source and the path of the light was on a straight and constant velocity path to the EESE. I had tracked enough satellites to be convinced this was another satellite and I turned around and headed back to the garage - a little disappointed - but satisfied by the brief, no harm, diversion from cleaning an autofill combo supply - check valve for my hotwater heating system.

As I reached the paved parking area next to my house and in front of my garage I decided to scan for the satellite on its trajectory again (and enjoy the refreshing cool, dry morning air again) before entering the garage to continue work.

To my surprise the light was moving very slowly to the SW -- as it had moved past me about 30 to 40 seconds (on same initial EESE trajectory) after I had shouted and raised my arms and waved them in the pitch black that is rural Topeka, KS. As I popped into the open of my concrete parking area in front of the garage the light came to an instant stop also.

The light had also moved back to the north in those last few seconds but was not quite overhead - but about 15 degrees south of straight overhead. I listened for a propeller blade wash noise from a parked helicopter (the local city poilce have a helicopter that is very noisy and easily identified by its very loud engine and prop noise). Again - absolute quiet reigned - with no normal or unusual noise being heard from this now stopped light in the sky.

I continued to observe the light and did not think of yelling and waving my arms as I noticed I was now very nervous.

The now still round light - if it had not sensed my presence - at least gave the highly coincidental indication that it was now going to track me. I stared at the light in the sky (much brighter than a bright star) for about 10 seconds and the emotion grew to get away into the garage as soon as possible -- I logically did not expect the light was anything to fear -- but the fear and seek cover emotion ruled and I could no longer control it and could not continue to observe the light in the sky.

All of this happened in a three to five minute period. Looking back on this incident both the emotional states I experienced seem highly unusual for me -- overly happy /pleased as it passed overhead the first time and then overly distraught a few minutes later with the creepy felling it was going to observe me and / or do something I would not like. Neither emotion seems like a normal response for me. I am a engineer, naturally curious, and open to observation without emotion as I seek to analyze situations and events and not let my emotions rule.

Previous events / sightings -- I have now observed this style of light flying in the sky three times that I can remember. One as youth, one at age 41, and now this morning as a 56 year old man. When I observed a similar style light as a 41 year old there.............dssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss were also 10 or so witnesses observing the light with me on a wilderness river boating and camping trip, one of them was my best friend. My best friend and I discussed (for about 5 minutes or so) the "wierdness" of the unusual light (flying craft) that night and then he as well as the other 10 campers went to sleep almost immediately. I stayed awake for about 10 to 15 more minutes wondering why someone was not continuing to discuss what we had just seen -- I will just say it was repeated for us and was very, very remarkable what the light (a flying craft of some type) performed with its near infinite acceleration and agility relative to a fighter aircraft i! n the area. When I brought the matter up with my best friend in the morning to continue the discussion he told me that he knew of no such event had happened the night before (and I believe that is now his memory) - in fact I was the only one in the group who had any recollection of the event - everyone I approached (including my best friend) said they did not know what I was talking about.