NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 6/1/2003 10:00 (Entered as : 06/1/2003 10:00)
Reported: 1/21/2018 7:35:53 AM 07:35
Posted: 1/25/2018
Location: Abilene, TX
Shape: Other
Duration:6 minutes
Invincible Bird

The following occurred at approximately 9:00 AM in the month of May or June, 2003. It was a clear, sunny day and it wasn't windy. I was not under the influence of drugs (including prescription drugs) or alcohol. I was approximately 14 years old.

I was in my backyard shooting in an easterly direction at a target with a pellet rifle. This was a highly powerful, break barrel .22 caliber model that was capable of tearing melons to shreds.

In my peripheral vision I saw a bird flying from the east in to a cubic hedge in my backyard, which stood about 6 feet tall and was six feet long on every side. I walked over to the hedge and saw that the bird was perched on a twig inside the hedge, beak pointing west, or directly toward me. The bird was light grey and not particularly large. This hedge wasn't in good condition and was hollowed out on the inside by animals so I had a clear view of the bird.

Me being an unsupervised punk with a pellet rifle, I decided to shoot the bird. I realize it is wrong and illegal, and I would never do something like this again. I raised my rifle and shot the bird directly in the chest. The bird recoiled, but remained perched on the twig, staring at me.

Several seconds pass. I load another pellet in to the rifle and put the muzzle within two inches of the bird's chest. A shot rings out and the bird remains perched on the twig unharmed and looking directly in to my eyes. This awful process repeats itself over and over again.

Finally, I load a seventh pellet in to the rifle. The muzzle is touching the bird's body when the trigger is pulled. The bird recoils but stands unfazed. At this point I am overwhelmed with a sense of confusion, shame and astonishment. I take a few steps back and the bird and I stare at each other for what felt like an eternity. I walk away and the bird flies in to the western sky, having been shot 7 times in the chest with a high-powered pellet rifle.

I never told anyone about this experience because I would have been punished for it. For years I simply assumed this was a supernatural event that could never be explained. However, one might assume:

1.) The bird was not actually a natural bird at all, but a bird-like object under remote control.

2.) It was armored.

I never made these assumptions at the time, however.

This happened not too far from Dyess AFB.

Some days prior to this incident a radio alarm clock malfunctioned at night and received transmissions outside the ordinary FM/AM range, including air traffic and cellular phone communications. The radio then made a loud hissing and screeching noise and blew out, and never functioned again. The sound woke up the entire house and put a bit of a scare in us all.