NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 6/1/1976 23:00 (Entered as : 1976 23:00)
Reported: 8/19/2011 5:08:54 PM 17:08
Posted: 8/21/2011
Location: Kannapolis, NC
Shape: Oval
Duration:3-5 minutes
It was a clear starry night when i looked up and saw an oval shaped object with lights,hovering with no sound.

On a beautiful summer's night in the mid 1970's, the sky was clear and you could see all the stars. This was in the countryside, very dark, with a great view of the sky.

I was at my brother-in-law's house helping him work on his drag-racing car. I left about 11:00 P.M. My home was about 150 yards from his. I got about halfway across his yard,almost in mine and I stopped to relieve myself. It was so pretty out, I was looking around while I was doing my business.

I turned my head to the right and saw something I'll never forget. It was hovering about 100 feet off the ground, not making a sound. It was oval shaped and had lights that were all the way across it. They were not going off and on but dimming and brightening. I stood there for about 15 seconds and thought about my brother-in-law. I called him and he came out wanting to know what was wrong and I told him to look and he couldn't believe it. He said, "What is that"? We stood there probably 30 sec. or more looking at it and all of a sudden it went straight up at a speed of nothing like on this planet, to an altitude to where it was about the size of my fingernail. The object didn't make a sound and it stopped dead still and sat there about 5 sec. and made a 90 degree left turn and went about a half mile and dead stopped again. It sat there about 10 sec. and made a 90 degree to the right. This time it went over the trees into the horizon and we never saw it again. My brother-in-law wanted to get in the car and chase it but I told him it was probably long gone.

There is nothing man made, to my knowledge, that can travel that fast, hover without making a sound and stop dead still when it stops. All of this lasted, maybe, 3 or4 minutes but it seemed like a lot longer. I didn't tell many people because I thought they would just laugh.

Since then, my brother-in-law has passed away and I've wished a thousand times I would have told the authorities and tried to find out what it was. I've heard many stories similar to mine through the years. I've thought about being hypnotized to relive the experience. I don't know where it came from or what it was but it was real.

((NUFORC Note: Witness indicates that the date of the sighting is approximate. PD))