NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 2/5/2011 18:50 (Entered as : 2/5/2011 18:50)
Reported: 2/6/2011 3:02:29 PM 15:02
Posted: 2/8/2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Shape: Triangle
Duration:10 Minutes
V-Shaped Craft Hovering Above the Intersection of Six Forks Road and I-540 in Raleigh NC

As my wife and I pulled out of our driveway last night around a quarter till 7PM, I noticed a very bright light a little ways off. At first I thought it might be a passenger jet's landing lights (as seen from head-on) since we live only a few miles from RDU, but after watching it for about 30 seconds, we realized it could not be a plane because it wasn't moving. A car was coming up behind me on the street, so we continued on our way to our destination.

It takes about 5 minutes to get out of our neighborhood and onto I-540 (the outer loop around Raleigh). As we were pulling onto 540, we again saw the light(s) ahead of us. As we got closer, we could start making out the details better. There were red lights on either side of the 'craft', and white lights in the middle. 540 is a very busy road on Saturday evenings, and as we were getting really close to this object, all of the cars in front of us were slowing down to look at it as well. It was hovering just above the trees at the intersection of Six Forks Road and 540. It looked like a "V" with large white lights in the center and down both "wings" with the red lights on the tips of the wings. It looked to be about the size of a passenger jet, but again it was not moving. I wanted to get out and take photos with my phone, but we were running late for our event and my wife didn't want me to stop.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that maybe someone else took the time to report this as well as I know many, many people saw this. Maybe someone can check with air traffic at RDU as it must have been on their radar.

It was not a plane, nor was it a helicopter (much too big). It's worth noting that it was not there when we returned home 4 hours later.