NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 6/29/2010 23:30 (Entered as : 06/29/10 23:30)
Reported: 6/30/2010 12:46:39 AM 00:46
Posted: 7/6/2010
Location: Salina, KS
Shape: Light
Duration:1 hour
Flashing red light in south western sky emits light orbs and is seemingly pursued by a fighter jet.

It was about 11:30pm central and I was outside in my backyard on the phone with a friend, looking at the stars as I frequently do when I'm outside, and I notice a flashing red light sitting in the sky to the south west. I continue on with my conversation just watching it when it starts to move east still flashing. I ask my friend who lives about 7 blocks north of me to go outside and look, he sees it as well but dismissed it since he has work in the morning. So we get off the phone and I continue watching it, it then changes direction from moving east to moving west immediately without slowing and appeared to continue at the same speed it had been going, which is when I decided to go inside and tell my Father to come out and look. So we go to our back yard and continue observing it, it then starts moving from west to north. We watch it for a little while, every now and then the light would just stop then resume 10-20 seconds later, not in sequence, just at random times this would happen. It continued doing strange maneuvers such as ascending and descending quickly, changing direction without slowing, sometimes stopping altogether, and changing speed sporadically from very slow to fast. It stays in about the same general area, to the south and to the west turning, moving back and forth up and down over that area. We were already amazed by how it was changing direction immediately with no change of speed, it didn't slow down it simply started moving the opposite direction in an instant, and did that numerous times. After a while of this it is in the same area, still south west but slightly more west, and it stops as it had done a few times before. This next part happens over the span of 3-4 seconds: When it stops the light goes off, also as it had done numerous times beforehand, and suddenly emits a very very bright white orb of light about twice the size of the initial flashing red object we had been observing, and I'm talking ! really bright, this white orb seemingly splits into 2 orbs of ! light, o ne descending and one ascending which both dim and go out very quickly. As I said that happened over the course of 3-4 seconds, and was quite extraordinary. The object then resumes moving, and is heading west to a point where the tree line behind our house was blocking our view so we couldn't see it. Over the course of the next 10 or more minutes we would see it over the tree line a few times, moving south, sometimes north, and still flashing. At a few points in time over the course of the whole observation when the blinking would cease, rather than us not seeing it which had happened a few times, it would appear as just a solid red light moving, then continue flashing. The flashes were slow the whole time they were happening, not in perfect sequence but each was about one second apart, sometimes slightly faster sometimes slightly slower. So at this point we're only seeing it every now and then over the treeline, until it moves farther west to the point where we don't see it! at all for about 5 minutes. It had never made any noise. There are many fighter jets at our airport currently, they fly over many times a day, they are much louder and fly much lower than the commercial planes that fly over town do, about the same altitude the propeller planes fly at. One takes off from the airport which is about 1 1/2 miles west of our house, we saw it ascend from the area of the airport, it was flying low, looped around east over the very edge of town not far from our house with all of it's lights on, and as it turned south west the engines got much louder, and took off fast in the direction of the object we had been observing until it too moved far enough that the tree line prevented us from seeing it. We continued watching for a while and neither returned. It was right about 12:25am when we decided to go in since it was late and the event appeared to be over. I've returned outside numerous times over the course of the night and it has not returned, an! d obviously decided it was worth reporting, in hopes somebody ! else may have seen this. It has inspired me to buy a high definition video camera, it would have been amazing to have recorded.

((NUFORC Note: Celestial body? PD))