NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 4/11/2010 22:00 (Entered as : 04/11/10 22:00)
Reported: 4/12/2010 11:45:34 AM 11:45
Posted: 4/13/2010
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Shape: Triangle
Duration:30 min
Triangular object with about 3 lights that changed from bright white to all red when it slowed down.

The incident occurred on 04-11-2010 in Terre Haute, IN. It lasted for at least a half an hour between 9:45-10:30 pm EST. My husband and I were on our way to return a movie rental and from there, to the gas station. A few minutes earlier, I had tried to go to the gas station that was closest to home, but the lines were backed up and the attendant said the systems were down. So, I came home and told my husband what was going on and that I'd try later. He said he wanted to make sure the tank was filled, so he decided to come along and after returning the movie, we would just go to the gas station that's a few miles down the street. As we were leaving the parking lot of the video store, (driving west) I noticed a very bright white light, coming from the east just over the trees well north of us. At first, I thought it was a low-flying plane but it seemed to be moving faster than a plane and it had no colored lights just very bright white. I told my husba! nd, who was driving at the time, what I was seeing and he tried to get a look, but we were on a fairly busy street and the object was coming in and out of view from behind trees. He didn't want to cause an accident so, I just kept watching the object, waiting for it to reach an open area. While I was watching it, the object went from a fast-moving white light to nearly a stop and all the bright white lights turned bright red. It appeared to be hovering or moving very slowly in the north sky. As I was telling my husband what had just happened, that I wasn't crazy, and I knew what I had seen...we turned south. It was then behind us and out of view. While driving maybe 3 city blocks south, I noticed the red lights again, this time, in an open area in the distant southwestern sky. It must've moved really fast toward the south (without us noticing) in order for it to be that far ahead of us that soon. Finally, my husband saw it too. When we reached the gas station (the ! one that's a few miles from home) I went inside to pre-pay and! the att endant said the system had just went down. My husband stayed outside watching the object that appeared to be hovering or moving really slow still to the south of us. We pulled out from the gas station (driving east) and the object appeared to be moving again slowly toward the northeast. It looked like it was going to pass directly overhead and we were in an area where we could pull off the road into a vacant lot. My husband got out of the car, looked up, and watched it slowly pass over us. He described it as a triangular object with distinct bright red lights at the corners and 1 white light, that made only a slight humming sound. I couldn't hear anything from inside the car. I would think any plane flying that low and that slow would be much louder than a slight hum, but I could be wrong. I had my cell phone on me but didn't think to take a picture because, at that time, we were just trying to figure out what it was. It seemed to be heading northeast toward the s! ame area where I had initially seen it. We pulled out of the lot and headed north again to the gas station nearest home to see if their systems were up yet. The object remained on the west side of us moving north toward the east. We watched it the entire time we were driving, and this time, I tried to take a picture of it with my cell phone. The street lights and the treetops that were near the object were visible on my screen but, the red lights were not showing for me to get a picture. It was like my camera couldn't pick it up. We pulled up to the gas station (nearest our home) and I went inside to ask if the system was working yet. The attendant told me it was working fine now... so, I pre-paid. I went outside to pump the gas and the pump said OUT OF SERVICE. The attendant came over the intercom and said "I'm sorry, it'll be a few minutes the system just went down again." The object continued on it's way to the northeast until it was out of view. It was then, t! hat conveniently, the system came back up and I was finally ab! le to fi ll up my tank. I never saw it return to the bright white lights that I had initially seen, it remained red until it disappeared from view. I don't know how to explain the systems going down whenever that thing was in the vicinity, or how I couldn't pick up the lights on my camera. I don't know if anyone else noticed this or reported it. It happened right over town and there were many people out and about. Maybe it was just a plane and the systems failing was all just a coincidence...I don't know. All I do know, is it was a "weird" and rather frustrating experience for us. I would also like to know if anyone else experienced this.