NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 6/28/2003 23:00 (Entered as : 06/28/03 23:00)
Reported: 3/20/2008 3:14:58 AM 03:14
Posted: 3/31/2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Shape: Light
Duration:5 hours
Bright green light "draws" serveral strange marks over the Atlantic Ocean

I was at the Virginia Beach oceanfront with five friends on a summer night in 2003. Three of them left to go play pool. My friend and I went and sat on the beach around 80th street, a few miles down from the strip. When I first saw the green light, it looked like a dotted line being slowly drawn downward slowly in the sky. It seemed to be very wide and very high, miles out over the Atlantic Ocean. I pointed it out to my friend and we both just thought it looked cool. It stopped abruptly, but about 5 minutes later it returned, a little faster now, and it was a solid line. The light made one streak and then stopped. This line remained visible for quite awhile. My friend and I became very interested after that. I called my mother and a few friends to tell them to look for it. One of those friends was on as boat just off the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and she and her friends could see it from there.

We eventually settled back down, but an hour or so later the light returned. It started the same way, making a segmented line. When it came back as a solid line it made a broad, looping stroke in the sky. It was really bright green, and reminded me off a neon sign. My friend and I started to feel uneasy after the second appearance. There were other people scattered on the stretch off sand, and they all began pointing up and acting afraid. There was a group of around ten teenagers there from the Ukraine on work visas for the summer. They approached us and asked if we knew what was happening. Some of them seemed really scared. They sat and talked with us for another hour or so (it was between midnight and 1am) and then the light returned a third time. After its dotted stroke, the light made another sold line. This time the light swooped around a few times before culminating with an incredibly bright flash. At this point I became frightened as well, and I remember thinking we were seeing some kind of unfathomable missile or bomb approaching and that we were all going to be killed. Both the lines and the shape of the flash remained visible for what seemed like an hour. My other three friends came back sometime between 1 and 2 am. We told them what happened and one of them stayed on the beach with us and the Ukrainians. As I recounted the light appearances, it struck me that the three different shapes left by the solid line resembled the numbers 1, 2, and 3, in that order. This wasn’t completely true, however because the "3" had an extra swirl at the tail before the flash.

We were all completely amazed when it came back again, making the same dotted and solid line as it had the first time. I was scared, but I was also mesmerized and couldn’t tear myself away. We all just sat there watching the sky, wondering if it would keep coming back. When it did (again, about an hour later), it repeated the pattern of the second dotted and solid line. I was sure it would come back and repeat the third line and its flash, and just before dawn it did. I was still completely awed and so even as my companions went to bed, I stayed on the beach.

The cycle began to repeat itself a third time as the sky grew lighter. It was still visible after sunrise. I watched as the light again formed its first and second formations, but before the third pattern could be re-drawn, I succumbed to my exhaustion and went to sleep.

I remember wanting to see what the newspaper or local news would have to say about the lights, but I never heard anything about it. I assumed the stations would be flooded with calls from people in Virginia Beach and as far away as North Carolina, so I never even considered calling myself. I did do an internet search to see if there were any weird tests being done at nearby military bases, but came up empty-handed. I still tell people about it, and when I run into the friend who had been out there with me we ask each other whether we’ve figured out it was. We haven’t, of course.

((NUFORC Note: Witness indicates that the date of the incident is approximate. PD))